The latest facts about health, fitness and nutrition based on science
By Dr Megan Chircop
Bliss balls are a great healthy snack option to curb those hunger pangs during the weekends. We usually make a large batch of these on the weekends to have on hand during the weekdays. Also fabulous for kiddies lunchboxes (see tips in recipe for nut-free version).
1 banana, peeled (100g)
1/3 cup peanut butter or nut butter of your choice (33g) or tahini (nut-free option)
1 tsp vanilla extract
30 grams shredded or dessicated coconut (1/3 cup)
14 grams ground chia seeds (1 Tbsp) or a combination of chia and flax seeds
30 grams pea or whey protein powder, natural or vanilla flavoured
70 grams oats (2/3 cup)
1/3 cup cranberries, unsweetened preferred
Nutrition (per serving): 93 calories, 4.3g protein, 8.8g net carbohydrates, 2.1g fibre, 4.1g total fat.
* Almond butter can be swapped out for any nut or seed butter you like – sunbutter, cashew butter, pumpkin seed butter or peanut butter work very well.
* Shredded coconut can be left out if you’re not a fan – just use flax or chia seeds instead.
* Swap out the cranberries for any other dried fruit, e.g. sultanas, chopped dried apple or apricots, or nuts or cacao nibs if you like – cashews or almonds would be great!
* If banana is not for you. Leave it out and add more honey or nut butter instead.
* Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or up to 3 months in the freezer. Allow to sit out for 10 minutes from the freezer before serving.
Don't forget to post pics of your version of our recipes on Facebook (@bodysculptorsaustralia) and Instagram (@BodySculptorsAu) and tag us - we love to see our creations reinvented.
You might also be interested in the following articles:
8 reasons why meal planning will ensure you lose weight and keep it off for good
Strategies for fat loss
how to beat food cravings?
The secret to eating for weight loss
top 5 delicious potato dishes you can enjoy whilst losing weight
Nut butter chocolate crackles
Skinny baked strawberry cheesecake
Transform your life, health and body today
Feel fantastic again in your own skin by learning what foods your body needs to nourish itself
Please be respectful of other participants in the conversation. We'd love you to keep your comments respectful, friendly and relevant. Differences of opinion are welcome, but trolling and abuse of other commentators and the Body Sculptors Australia team is not, and will result in blacklisting.