By Dr Megan Chircop
Winter is almost finished. However, are you still abandoning outdoor activities and opting for comfort foods and the couch. Here are some strategies to get back on track with some healthy eating habits – and even add some new ones – even if you’re stuck inside.
1) Soups are great as they fill you up, with their high water content, which can also help with fluid retention and great as part of a weight management program. Packing soups with lots of vegetables including seasonal favourites such as sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots, leeks and kale provides all the antioxidants and nutrients which will keep you warm and healthy.
Minimise the use of cream, instead blend vegies in to the soup for a creamier texture.
Be careful of added toppings, instead of croutons made from bread, why not try roasted chickpeas, or dry-fried shredding chicken breast, or a dollop of thick Greek yoghurt to up the protein content.
2) Hidden veggies are a great way to bulk out your meals without adding too many calories. This is the high-volume low-calorie dense principle, which will ensure you achieve your ideal healthy body weight and maintain it long-term.
Some suggestions include:
* pasta bakes are an all-time winter favourite, substitute some of the short pasta for cauliflower or broccoli florets.
* bulk out your rice with cauliflower rice.
* bulk out your pasta with spiralised veggies, such as carrot or zucchini.
* puree cooked veggies (e.g. carrot is naturally sweet) with stock to make a lovely silky smooth sauce. No cream needed!
3) Distract yourself - find an activity that you enjoy which does not revolve around food.
4) Moving more will stop those extra kilos from piling on.
* Use the stairs in your house and at your office building.
* Stand more...this burns more calories than sitting.
* Buy an exercise DVD and yoga mat and start moving around your living room floor. Get your kids involved.
* Just dance around to your favourite music. Having fun is the key!
The Body Sculptors Australia team prides itself on developing nutritious recipes that are absolutely delicious. You will wonder why you have not eaten like this your whole life when food tastes this good.
Our mission is to help as many people as possible achieve their ideal healthy, lean and active body to have confidence and happiness in their everyday lives.
Do you know...
How much you need to eat to achieve your body goal?
How to turn healthy food in to delicious meals?
then let us teach you how....its easy...
we do all the thinking and macro calculations for you,
all you need to do is follow the plan!
Transform your life, health and body today
Feel fantastic again in your own skin by learning what foods your body needs to nourish itself
Please be respectful of other participants in the conversation. We'd love you to keep your comments respectful, friendly and relevant. Differences of opinion are welcome, but trolling and abuse of other commentators and the Body Sculptors Australia team is not, and will result in blacklisting.