By Dr Megan Chircop
Besides the fact that nut butter tastes absolutely delicious, there are many other benefits to making your own:
1) Saves money - the average jar of your favourite 'posh' almond or cashew butter costs about $34 per kilo (i.e. about $8 for a 250g jar). Whereas, you can make your own for the cost of just the raw nuts - buy in bulk and you will save even more. For example, a kilo bag of almonds will only set you back about $13. That is a whopping $21 per kilo saving on your favourite nut butter. If you go through it like our household does, you could save yourself hundreds per year.
2) Time-saving - You make a large batch of nut butter in less than 5 minutes. You could not even put your shoes on and pick up the keys to the car in this time to head toward the shop.
3) No additives - By making your own nut butter you have full control over what you are eating. Compared to store-bought peanut butter, your own version will only contain nuts!
INGREDIENTS in STORE-BOUGHT PEANUT BUTTER
Standard peanut butter:
ROASTED PEANUTS (90%), SUGAR, VEGETABLE OILS, SALT, STABILISER (mono and diglycerides).
'light' peanut butter:
ROASTED PEANUTS (63%), MALTODEXTRIN (FROM TAPIOCA), SUGAR, VEGETABLE OIL (CONTAINS ANTIOXIDANT (320)), SALT, EMULSIFIER (471)
It might contain slightly less fat and calories but what about the amount of nuts. Only a little over half of this spread is nuts and the rest is filler.
Scary isn't it!
3) Control over your nutrition - By making your own nut butter you can choose your nut of choice based on (1) flavour preference as well as (2) the nutritional profile of the nut.
Nuts are a good source of dietary fibre and provide a wide range of essential nutrients, including several B group vitamins (including folate), vitamin E, minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, potassium and magnesium, antioxidant minerals (selenium, manganese and copper), plus other phytochemicals such as antioxidant compounds (flavonoids and resveratrol) and plant sterols.
Each nut variety contains its own unique combination of nutrients and is generally rich in a few nutrients such as:
4) Improved heart health - Studies suggest that consuming about 30g of nuts (or 2 tablespoons of home-made nut butter) per day may reduce the risk of developing heart disease by 30-50% and reduce the risk of death from heart disease by around 20%. These healthy heart benefits are due to the nutrients (as well as the high proportion of healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, and the low proportion of saturated fats) found in nuts which:
Now that we have provided you with some very good reasons as to why you should make your own nut butter, here is our favourite version...
ABC nut butter
400 grams equal amounts of Almonds, Brazil nuts and Cashews
50 grams canola or other vegetable oil (about ¼ cup)
Yield: 20 Tbsp about 20g each)
Nutrition (per Tbsp): 137 calories, 4.2g protein, 1.9g net carbohydrates, 2.4g fiber, 12.4g total fat
Don't forget to post pics of your version of our recipes on Facebook (@bodysculptorsaustralia) and Instagram (@BodySculptorsAu) and tag us - we love to see our creations reinvented.
Improved health through better food choices
It is not a diet, but a healthy way of life
A healthy lifestyle does not have to be boring, it is all about delicious food
You might also be interested in the following articles:
8 reasons why meal planning will ensure you lose weight and keep it off for good
Understanding portion sizes
how to beat food cravings?
The secret to eating for weight loss
Is your health suffering because you are not getting enough vegetables?
A morning pick-me-up that will burn fat
Teriyaki chicken sang choi bao
Transform your life, health and body today
Feel fantastic again in your own skin by learning what foods your body needs to nourish itself
Please be respectful of other participants in the conversation. We'd love you to keep your comments respectful, friendly and relevant. Differences of opinion are welcome, but trolling and abuse of other commentators and the Body Sculptors Australia team is not, and will result in blacklisting.