By Dr Megan Chircop
Is eating a midnight snack really going to sabotage you from achieving your body and health goals? Truth or myth...read more to find out.
Eating before bed has always been a controversial topic - will you gain weight or not?
Several studies have shown that there is no real benefit in depriving yourself of a night time snack before bed. So why do some people gain weight whilst others don't?
What you need to think about is why are you eating at night time after you have already had dinner, which for most people is the biggest meal of the day? Then you can work out what to do to ensure you do not gain weight.
The two most common reasons people eat at night time:
1) Are you an emotional eater? Eating for emotional rather than physiological reasons is common during evening hours. You may eat out of boredom or to cope with sadness, stress or anxiety or to celebrate or have fun with friends.
2) Eating too little during the day also leads to night time eating. In this case. it is not necessarily a bad thing to have a night time snack as long as it is within the caloric requirements for the day to maintain your weight.
The problem is, is that in both cases, most people are now TOO hungry and/or make poor food choices resulting in an excessive amount of calories consumed. Thus, they overshoot their daily caloric requirements required to maintain their weight. The result is a slow incline in weight over the years.
Solution - how to eat at night time without gaining weight
In some cases, a healthy night time snack can help you relax, fall asleep more easily or prevent you from waking up hungry during the night.
If you are going to eat a night time snack. We suggest you do not just aimlessly open the fridge or pantry and start grazing. Most often, this results in poor food choices such as ice cream, chips, biscuits, chocolate, etc.
Instead, pre-think about what you will have earlier in the day before the night time snacking 'brain' takes over. Write a note of what you will eat as a night time snack on a post-it note and stick it on your fridge or pantry door. Some good night time snack options include:
* No fat Greek yoghurt with fruit;
* Low calorie jelly
* 3 small cubes of dark chocolate (at least 70% because the more sugar you have the more you will want)
* a small handful of nuts
* Ice cream is an all time favourite night time snack. If you really want it, we suggest you opt for a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich or ice cream cup. Both are low in added sugar and are portioned so there is no chance of over scooping!
The take-home message is that if you are going to eat a night time snack then
1) Fuel your body with whole foods
2) Track your calories the and be accountable of what you're eating.
3) Depending upon the food choices and quantities you consume, eating before bed may help or hinder your wellness.
4) Don't snack at night time or stop eating at least 3 hours before bed time if you suffer from heart burn or indigestion.
5) Look after your body and it will look after you!
Nourishing your body with delicious whole foods will give you the energy and confidence to live life to its fullest.
It is the best gift and future investment that
you can give yourself and your kids.
If you are confused about what your body needs, so you can feel energetic and great in your own skin as well as be healthy...
Reach out to me for support!
The first consultation is FREE, with no obligation
You might also be interested in the following articles:
8 reasons why meal planning will ensure you lose weight and keep it off for good
Understanding portion sizes
Recipes from all cuisines to suit all cultures and tastes to achieve your weight loss goals
The secret to eating for weight loss
General recommendations for good health
Treats are not off limits on our fat loss meal plans
Start the day by nourishing your body
Transform your life, health and body today
Feel fantastic again in your own skin by learning what foods your body needs to nourish itself
Please be respectful of other participants in the conversation. We'd love you to keep your comments respectful, friendly and relevant. Differences of opinion are welcome, but trolling and abuse of other commentators and the Body Sculptors Australia team is not, and will result in blacklisting.
At Body Sculptors Australia, we believe in NOURISHING YOURSELF from the inside out! Because YOU are worth it. And good health, happiness and confidence comes from within.
Understanding your own nutritional requirements can often be confusing, especially as we age and our hormones change. I am in my 40s, a single mum to a 6yr old daughter, whom has boundless energy and I want to keep up. So I understand how difficult it can be and how time-poor we all are and therefore put ourselves last, especially as parents.
With my experience, I can help you understand your body and what nourishment it needs to feel happy, lighter, & confident in your own skin.
I am also a keen sportswoman, and have extensive knowledge of sports nutrition. So, if you are looking to up your performance to achieve your best, reach out.
Dr Megan Chircop
© COPYRIGHT 2018 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.