LET SCIENCE GUIDE YOUR WAY TO...
By Dr Megan Chircop
A typical 5’ o clock question that plagues the cook in every household on a daily basis is “what’s for dinner?”. What do you do?
The kids are hungry, everybody’s blood sugar is running low, hence an increase in irritability, and on top of that you have no idea what to put on the table. This is a common reoccurring situation in many households. How many of you opt for the quick and easy option? A frozen meal that you can throw in the oven, or you pick up the phone and dial for take-out. Both options are often high in salt, sugar, fat and of course contain more calories than you require (portion size is too large) and those calories often have little nutritional value. The result is you put on weight. But, also your digestive system and health suffer, making you feel sluggish, tired and run-down. Sound familiar?
How do you change these daily patterns to lose weight and keep it off for good? How do you improve not only your health but the health of your family?
Meal planning is the secret to successful weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. Here’s why:
1) Improve your nutrition - By planning in advance, you can aim to have nutritionally well-balanced meals throughout the week.
2) Make healthier choices - A last minute decision about what you should pack for lunch or cook for dinner, will most likely result in consuming calorie-dense foods, high in salt, sugar and fat!
3) Eat high quality foods - Homemade meals are almost always more micronutrient-dense, and contain less calories, salt, sugar, and fat than takeout or pre-prepared meals available at your supermarket.
4) Try new recipes - If you don’t plan in advance you can’t help but resort to what you are most familiar with – recipes that you have memorised because you have made them so many times. This can get old and boring.
5) Lose weight and keep it off for good - This is the big one. Meal planning is a scientifically-proven strategy to lose weight. Instead of buying food on a whim when you are hungry and short on time, planning your meals in advance gives you full control over your nutrition and health. The best approach is to learn how to cook and take full control over managing your weight. Anybody can cook and you don’t have to be a “MasterChef” to make delicious meals that are healthy for you.
6) Save money - Having a meal plan prevents you from throwing ingredients out that you left too long in the fridge.
7) Save time - By having a set supermarket list, you will not wander around the store aimlessly trying to imagine what you will cook that week and what you need.
8) Decrease stress - The daily “what’s for dinner” thought that plagues our minds throughout the day is a constant stress to have and it is relentless – every day! But this can be prevented with a plan.
The Body Sculptors Australia team prides itself on developing nutritious recipes that are absolutely delicious. You will wonder why you have not eaten like this your whole life when food tastes this good. Our mission is to help as many people as possible achieve their ideal healthy, lean and active body to have confidence and happiness in their everyday lives.
If you don’t have time to plan your meals, let us do the hard work for you.
Welcome. I am Dr Megan Chircop. I am a medical scientist and nutritionist with 20 years in medical research. As such, I have extensive knowledge and a thorough understanding of how the body works. I am able to simplify the science behind the way food fuels the body and mind to provide energy and nutrition needed to achieve optimal health and vitality. I am also a keen sportswoman, and have extensive knowledge of sports nutrition.
Please be respectful of other participants in the conversation. We'd love you to keep your comments respectful, friendly and relevant. Differences of opinion are welcome, but trolling and abuse of other commentators and the Body Sculptors Australia team is not, and will result in blacklisting.